Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Revised GPA 604 Duplex

  1. #11
    Inactive Member MANZANITA's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 11th, 2002
    Posts
    33
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Following up on the Revised "Urei" bi-radial format GPA 604.......

    I may have jumped the gun on this version being an available driver to the general market place....

    Seems that final decisions... possibly in both areas of design and marketing are still being made..... so... I hope I have not lead too many astray. I was quite excited about what I saw... and hope that what ever issues may remain as to the future of this version of the GPA 604 are quickly resolved.

    Just an updated FYI.....and these are strickly my conclusions... the final source of information is of coarse GPA and or Iconic.

    John

  2. #12
    Senior Hostboard Member speakerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 28th, 2004
    Posts
    154
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    It would be nice if that horn were to become available as a separate piece for retrofit.

  3. #13
    Inactive Member chrismercurio's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2008
    Posts
    31
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Wink

    From GPA:

    Our new model 604-8H Series III (with the new horn and new crossover) is available as of this week, July 14, 2008, and priced at U$D 950.00 each (plus the applicable shipping charges).

  4. #14
    Senior Hostboard Member gortnipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2008
    Posts
    244
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I took the plunge into the Altec world and ordered the GPA 604-8H-III today. The bad news is I wont be able to pick them up until second week in August when I get back to the states on a business trip to CA. But I will have OBs for them sorted by then though....

  5. #15
    Inactive Member chrismercurio's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2008
    Posts
    31
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You will have yours before I get mine...but I can build subwoofers in the meantime.

    Chris

  6. #16
    Senior Hostboard Member gortnipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2008
    Posts
    244
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Life is so hard for us isnt it? :-P

  7. #17
    Inactive Member Vathek's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2007
    Posts
    44
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    To make this clear, I'm not saying they're not worth 950 at all. But I think for the version II I was quoted around 650 some time ago (might have been without crossover though). Why are these so much more expensive? Are there any other changes besides the new horn? Just curious

  8. #18
    Inactive Member smallpond's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 23rd, 2005
    Posts
    23
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I corresponded with Bill this week and he mentioned that the crossover is included with the new 604 and that the price increase reflects not only the crossover and changes to the horn but the recent increases in the cost of materials.

  9. #19
    Inactive Member MANZANITA's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 11th, 2002
    Posts
    33
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    There are a number of factors at work....

    According to Bill H. the special mold needed to make the horn was quite expensive and it will take a while to get the start up costs back on that...Assume GPA is selling hundreds per year.....Not thousands of them.... and Aluminum has sky - rocketed in price... at wholesale, in ingot form, it is around $4,000 or more a ton now for common formulations (often more than double ... some times triple the cost just 18 months ago) and common steel (A36 cold rolled) has doubled in just the last 6 months... copper is up 4 fold, plus we all know about energy and shipping costs.... Unfortunately a sign of the times. Iron ore is up 90% just in the last 3 months... Thanks Rio - Tinto!! All the above commodity info from the Wall Street Journal.. It's a wonder it's not up even higher!!

  10. #20
    Senior Hostboard Member drummerwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    138
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think this was asked before but, "Will there be a Horn Kit available for retrofit?"

    Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.